Chris Brown Denied Entry to Canada

Chris Brown Denied Entry to Canada

Chris Brown made Canadian headlines recently when he was denied entry to Canada, disappoint-ing fans who had purchased tickets to his scheduled concerts in Montreal and Toronto.  Although his publicist and Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) remained silent on exactly why he was denied entry, his felony assault conviction past is not so secret and therefore all signs point to immigration issues due to his not so distant criminal past.

Here's our brief synopsis of why Chris Brown may have been denied entry to Canada on his arri-val at  Montreal's Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport, on February 24, 2015.

An individual who has engaged in criminal activity and has been convicted of said crime outside of Canada is considered to be criminally inadmissible to enter Canada if the offence is considered a crime in Canada. Assault on another person is "an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years", according to s.266, Criminal Code of Canada.

This conviction does not mean Brown can never enter Canada.  He would have to apply for reha-bilitation.  

Rehabilitation removes the grounds of criminal inadmissibility. Rehabilitation means that you lead a stable lifestyle and that you are unlikely to be involved in any further criminal activity.

You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if you have:
committed an act outside of Canada and five (5) years have elapsed since the act;
been convicted outside of Canada and five (5) years have passed since the end of the sentence imposed.

You may be saying to yourself, "Ok, he was convicted in 2009, hasn't five years gone by?" Yes, you're right but unfortunately due to a probation violation in 2014, Brown is still currently on proba-tion.  CIC considers probation as part of the initial sentence. Chris Brown or any other individual on probation must wait five years after the probation period ends.

Maybe his lawyers did not check that last stipulation or maybe they were keeping their fingers crossed for Brown to be approved special permission at the port of entry. 

A last attempt to be granted entry into Canada when one is found criminally inadmissible is to ap-ply for a Temporary Resident's Permit (TRP) asking for special permission to enter Canada.  This can be done at a Canadian Visa Office  outside of Canada where they will grant it to you or advise you not to travel to Canada. It can also be applied for at the port of entry - probably what Chris Brown did, but at that point, if the CBSA Officer does not approve it, they will ask you to leave Canada immediately and return to your country of departure - concert that night or no concert that night!

If you need to enter Canada but you believe you may be found to be criminally inadmissible, please call or email us at Williams Immigration.  We will consult with you to determine your eligibil-ity for a Canadian visa and whether you require help with calculating your eligibility date to enter, obtaining a record suspension (pardon), applying for a TRP, we are here and happy to assist with your immigration matter!

Call 876-648-9541 or WhatsApp 876-341-VISA. Email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Get your VISA, it’s YOUR time!

We are here to help! Consult today with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) on your Canadian immigration matter.
Jamaica: Digicel: 876-648-9541  Flow/WhatsApp Icon: 876-341-VISA(8472)
Canada: 416-900-8472
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Visitor Visa

 Planning a visit to Canada to see family and friends, extend your stay or maybe explore as a tourist? Contact us. We can simplify the application process for your visitor visa.




Study Permit

Congratulations on your acceptance to a Canadian university or college! Avoid a delay in the processing of your study permit or find out if you require one. Contact us to find out more about how to obtain or extend your study permit.



Work Permit

Unsure whether you should apply for a work permit? Williams Immigration can help you to determine whether you are eligible to work in Canada. Call today to set-up a consultation.



Family Sponsorship

Call us today to discuss if you are eligible to sponsor your family member for permanent residence in Canada. Once the person becomes a Canadian Permanent Resident they will be able to visit, live, study and work in Canada!



Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.